Webposition Outage

13 Jul

Amongst other tools, I use Webtrends’ Webposition to help with SEO. It’s not the cheapest software in the world nor is it without its problems. I’ve been a satisfied customer for a few years nonetheless. Up until today at least.

I was belatedly finishing my end of month SEO reporting today when I fired up Webposition – only to receive a series of error messages about being unable to connect. After verifying that my connection was indeed working, I decided to grab their support phone number from the webposition.com web site. A-ha! Their site was down. No immediate phone support gratification. I fired off an email to help@webposition.com. That was about twelve hours ago. Still haven’t heard back.

Their site is still down. I’ve trolled the blogosphere and can’t find any other mentions of this outage. I poked around and found a webpostion support phone number on another site and called it. A British woman’s recorded voice instructed me to dial 510-962-5035 “directly” and then the line just hangs there in silence. I know I’ve always dialed a 503 number in Oregon to talk to webposition in the past. And this new number goes to a busy signal immediately.

Further troubling is the fact that searching for “webposition” on the webtrends.com site doesn’t deliver any obvious results. This is troubling. Any clues? This wouldn’t be such a huge deal except that their DRM/licensing checks require access to the now-down webpostition.com site. Without regular (sometimes daily) updates, this software becomes obsolete.

If you know anything of this outage. Please post a comment.

9 Responses to “Webposition Outage”

1. James July 14, 2009 at 11:32 am #

I’m having the same issue. It was just up last week. But now the DNS appears to be totally dead.

• dandreifort July 14, 2009 at 2:01 pm #

This is totally disconcerting. I’ll call their competition to see if they know anything.

2. dandreifort July 14, 2009 at 4:02 pm #

My email to webposition finally bounced back. Ominous.

I’m sorry to have to inform you that your message could not
    be delivered to one or more recipients.

: connect to webposition.com[216.64.169.221]: Connection timed out

3. dandreifort July 18, 2009 at 12:47 am #

…and they’re back up. Anybody get word from them what happened?

4. Dee July 24, 2009 at 10:22 am #

Does anyone know whats going on. I haven’t been able to reach their customer service reps. I have called their 1-800 number and was given another number that has been disconnected.

This is so frustrating.

5. dandreifort July 24, 2009 at 10:44 am #

Per this WebPosition Support URL – http://www.webposition.com/termsofuse.asp – It would now appear that Infospace has acquired WebPosition from WebTrends. There is a contact link at the bottom of the page.

6. Scott December 7, 2009 at 2:35 pm #

Any update on this?

7. dandreifort December 11, 2009 at 6:43 pm #

Some of the more recent probs I was having with web position turned out to be a verizon wireless problem. (see later post) The outage mentioned in this post ended about a week after I posted, if I remember correctly. It likely had something to do with the sale to infospace. My final take on Web Position’s sale? The new support is S L O W as balls. Got a problem? Get ready for it to take a week to fix. Send a question, get a response the next day. Send a followup, wait another day. Etc. Very disappointing. Scott Goodyear, where are you? Man, I miss that guy. He was the backbone of their support. Infospace needs to hire that hombre pronto.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Need Help Finding a WebPosition Replacement | Dan Dreifort - February 3, 2018

[…] was pretty great until Infospace bought them in 2009. Then came the outages. What was once a wonderfully supported suite of SEO SERP tools turned into a nightmare. The newly […]

You got sumthin' to say?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s

Swine Flu Tracker

Swine Flu News and Information

Grown Up Book Reports

Book reviews with a healthy dollop of snark

Ethan McCarty